The Deployment

2.21.2006

Burger King Sold Me Wrong

When God calls you on the carpet it is about this much fun. It is about, oh, never exciting to be told that you are going about something the wrong way. If you think about it, you have everything under control when it is your way. You can look out for yourself, do what you want to do, and not have to deal with anyone unless it is on your time schedule. Since life is not one huge Burger King we have a problem. The problem presents itself in that the "all about you way" is not "God's way" and that is where things usually start to get way bad. Way.

Correction stinks. No body wants it. Yet, correction/discipline is one of the most used tools by God. His discipline is given because He loves us. The bible says that the discipline from God is for our own good because His discipline draws us closer to holiness. It molds us into the image of God.

Now that sounds really cliche, but please bear with me. Imagine when my young daughter gets old enough to sit at the table and she is snacking on a deliciously moist ding-dong. My little girl, new to the whole ding-dong experience, thinks it looks like a perfect projectile to be launched at mom's face. I catch her in mid windup and tell her you don't throw your ding-dong, you eat it. I take the time to train her not to throw her ding-dong and the training takes hold. Well, my little girl is not Jesus. She is going to mess up. There will be a time when she goes against what she knows to be true (ding-dong does not equal projectile) and will give it a launch. If I don't as a father discipline her for the things I have taught her I am showing non love towards her. I am reinforcing that it is okay to rebel, be disobedient, and that I don't love her enough to correct and discipline her in ways that I know are best for her.

The same goes with God. God has the perfect grasp on the concept that it is all about Him and that we think it is all about us. God, in his perfect love for us, will discipline us so we don't hurt ourselves in our stupor. God's discipline and correction bring the focus back to Him.

Hebrews 12:
11 - For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home