The Deployment

7.28.2005

Deep thoughts by Jack Johnson

I have been reading some really good Articles lately in Relevant Magazine. Their main topic of discussion in the "Dig Deeper" section has been about the "Word of God". Dwelling on the phrase "Word of God" can bring up a lot of questions. One of the main questions that surfaces for me is, "If the Bible is the documented speech of God why do we tread so lightly with it?" It isn't somone elses commentary on God, it is His spoken word, God's story in plain view straight from Him. Yet, I know this fact, and the majority of the time I take scripture for granted, and approach with a flippant attitude.

For me it seems a while since I have truly heard from God through scripture (my fault but I am getting there), but isn't that the whole purpose of scripture, to HEAR God. To find a believer who hears from God on a consistent basis through scripture is a rarity. I believe the problem lies with our tendency to look at God with "Me" colored glasses. The central core of our actions are "Me" driven, and it bleeds into our relationship with God. These "Me" glasses mute our ability to hear.

Have you ever listened to your favoirite song while muted, it sucks. I have been listening to a lot of Jack Johnson lately (I would recommend the album Brushfire Fairy Tales). The music is awesome, fresh, and alive. If I could grow wings and fly on air made of Jack's music it would be true bliss. Alas, that has not happened so while I am grounded for now I must listen to Jack on the iPod. But if I were to crank up the album while muted I have nothing. The songs lose their beauty, their power and most of all their purpose. The "Word of God" is the 800W surround sound home theater system for the Soundtrack of God. It's our "Me" glasses that mute this song. Is it no wonder that scripture becomes lost on so many people. We press play on God's anthem, hear a muted song, and assume something is wrong with God.

It is time for us to stop looking at God with "Me" colored glasses and to start looking at "Me" with God colored glasses. Crush those "Me" glasses and let the word of God bring back freshness. The purpose of God's soundtrack is the sole glorification of God. When you are receiving the song at full volume you represent God for the glory of God.

So, crank up the song and let the Alpines play. I have some breaking to do.

1 Comments:

  • I'm feeling you on the 'me' colored glasses. Sometimes I feel like I've got 'me' colored lasiks surgery.

    Jack Johnson? Really? I wouldn't have expected that out of you. You strike me more as a Bryan Adams sort of guy.

    By Blogger Chase Abner, at 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home