The Deployment

5.03.2006

The Cupbearer

On my quest to lay out the Old Testament in chronological order I have found myself to be stuck on the book of Nehemiah. More specifically the chapters 1 and 8. There was just something in Nehemiah's heart that just grabbed my attention and has had me lingering for a bit. Nehemiah was the cupbearer for the king of the Persians. One of his brothers shows up with some grim information. "Hey Nehemiah, yeah, news not so good. Jerusalem. In ruins. People. Very troubled. Gates. Burned down."

Nehemiah throws his emotions right out there on his sleeve.
Broken. His people had rebelled.
Torn. Bad news was brought to his doorstep.
Distraught. Over his city being in ruins.

Confident. God is true to His promise.

To be honest I think I was blown away by the selflessness Nehemiah had for himself. I am speculating that it is not a hard job to the the cupbearer for a king. Nehemiah's sole life force that we see is his distraught over his city, people, and nation. Yet, the source of his distraught isn't over what people will think if he tells them he comes from a city that is lying in ruins. The source of his distraught is that God is not receiving the glory from His chosen people that He is totally worthy of. Israel was God's chosen people and they completely dropped the ball. This was the source of Nehemiah's weeping, fasting, and prayer.

Some points that jumped out at me from this chapter.
1. Does my heart weep over the Godlessness in my country?
2. Am I so broken that I mourn, weep, fast, and pray continually for this Godlessness?
3. Does this Godlessness move me to a constant state of intercession for the Christless?
4. What steps are being molded into my life to be a man of action and not just an apathetic "man I'm glad that's not me" spiritual benchwarmer?

God took a cupbearer and delivered on His promise. Incredible.

Nehemiah 1:3-7
3
And they said to me, "The remnant there in the province who had survived the exile is in great trouble and shame. The wall of Jerusalem is broken down, and its gates are destroyed by fire."” 4 As soon as I heard these words I sat down and wept and mourned for days, and I continued fasting and praying before the God of heaven. 5 And I said, "“O Lord God of heaven, the great and awesome God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, 6 let your ear be attentive and your eyes open, to hear the prayer of your servant that I now pray before you day and night for the people of Israel your servants, confessing the sins of the people of Israel, which we have sinned against you. Even I and my father's house have sinned. 7 We have acted very corruptly against you and have not kept the commandments, the statutes, and the rules that you commanded your servant Moses."

1 Comments:

  • Solid. I love how Nehemiah isn't really weeping because his kinsmen aren't prospering for their own sake. He weeps because they have sinned against the Most High.

    It reminds me of how Moses interceded for the Israelites. He didn't want God to spare them for their sake. He wanted God to spare them so that the Gentile nations couldn't speak falsely and mock Jehovah.

    "O LORD, why does your wrath burn hot against your people, whom you have brought out of the land of Egypt with great power and with a mighty hand? 12Why should the Egyptians say, 'With evil intent did he bring them out, to kill them in the mountains and to consume them from the face of the earth'?' Exodus 32:11-12

    By Blogger Chase Abner, at 11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home