The Deployment

4.20.2006

Dust Storm

About a week ago I am pretty sure we went through our first dust major dust storm. We have had some minor blowings of dust since we have been here but you have always been able to see. There would be a light haze on the horizon, but for the most part you still had visibility.

This storm on the other hand was something different.
A buddy of mine and I were walking back to the barracks and I just happened to look back and all we could see was this giant brown wall cloud moving right toward our base. At first I thought we were going to outrun it to our barracks but I soon realized that it was moving at a pretty good clip. It was a unique experience because there was the "calm before the storm" thing that happened. Right up until the wall cloud overtook us there was no wind, dust, light debris, nothing. Right when it caught us there was rain, dust, major wind, and I even heard accounts of hail. I am not sure about that, it is just what I heard. I wish I had my camera so I could have made a video file of the storm coming and then overtaking us. But alas, all I have are two pics from our barracks front door and balcony.
The craziest thing was that no sooner than it started it was over. The most noticed after effect was the dusty haze that lingered in our barracks and the light coat of dust on our things in the barracks. Definately an experience to remember.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home